Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Energy Bars

My sister-in-law is the one who originally had this recipe, but I've tweaked it here and there. Her recipe called for 1 cup low-fat granola and 1 cup raisins. I can never find granola, and I don't like raisins, so I started adding whatever I could find in the cupboards.

3/4 cup corn syrup
1 1/2 cups chunky peanut butter
1 cup 5-7 grain cereal (or 1 cup quick-cooking oats)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 cup non-fat dry milk powder
1 cup All-Bran cereal
1/2 cup chocolate chips

In a large saucepot, bring corn syrup and brown sugar to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter. Add rest of the ingredients. Stir until well combined. Press into a 9x13" pan, and chill for 45 minutes or until firm. Cut into 36 bars, wrap individually in plastic and refrigerate.

--Delena
Kansas City, MO

No comments: